Warm hugs to lovely Emily, for nominating me! Her blog, Sims 3 Stories by Em, is home to the wonderful Holland story with lots of complex characters all held together by the awesome Dr. Holland. You’ll also find her sim versions of “the Little Ponies” and “Quantum Leap” with a certain Sam Beckett…
What is the Sunshine Blogger Award?
The Sunshine Blogger Award is given to creative, positive, inspiring bloggers who spread sunshine to the blogging community.
– In a blog post, thank the person who nominated you and link back to their blog.
– Answer the 11 questions sent by the person who nominated you.
– Nominate 11 new blogs to receive the award and write them 11 new questions.
– List the rules and display the Sunshine Blogger Award logo in your post and/or your blog.
Here goes, Em! The answers to your questions:
- If you could tell your younger writing self anything, what would it be?
Get it done, don’t hesitate! And send your stuff to an editor before someone else does!
- What is the first book that made you cry?
It must have been Black Beauty by Anna Sewell. I still cry when I read it, or when I watch the movie. But I’m very easily moved.
- What’s the most difficult thing about writing characters from the opposite sex?
I think it’s fun, but I don’t think it’s particularly difficult. Being married to a military, having a teen son and being a High School Teacher, I’m surrounded by typical male behavior 24/7…
- Does writing energize or exhaust you?
Energize. I often sit up writing the whole night, getting back to bed for a couple of hours sleep only.
- A day at the beach or a day in the mountains? Which one and why?
A day at the beach, because I love the sea! I’m surrounded by Europe’s highest mountains and I’m in awe every day just looking out my window.
- What do you think makes a good character?
Depth. Feelings. And getting in something you can relate to, not picturing some flawless Mary-Sue!
- How important is the reader’s reaction to your plot and character development?
It’s always good for your ego to get nice feedback. You don’t only write to please yourself, you want others to enjoy it too!
- Is there a SimLit Blog you absolutely must recommend? Why?
There are so many good ones I can’t single out just one.
- Have you ever written a scene that was completely out of your comfort zone?
Yup. But you get drawn into it and suddenly you don’t think it’s uncomfortable anymore. But some things I’ve written are not published on my blog. I’m a teacher after all, and God forbid my students happen to read something out of their comfort zone!
- Do you think you could ever hand write a whole entire story in this day and age?
Oh, yes. I write at the beach. In my car waiting for my kids. At the doctors. And when I get home to my computer or my laptop, I write it down again. I always have one of them leather-bound little notebooks in my bag, and I’ve got a few of them filled with notes, quotes and pages upon pages of stories.
- Who’s your favorite character out of all your stories and why?
I would say Derek. Maybe because when I created him he turned out to be a look-alike for one of my ex-boyfriends – the kind your mom forbids you to see, but you can’t stay away from…
I nominate these fantastic blogs, knowing some of them have already been nominated:
- Once Upon a Legacy
- Simlish Fair
- AQ Stories
- Sims 3 Stories by Em
- The Kingston Legacy
- Stories by Bee
- Life’s Lemons
- Not JustABookSims
- Gamer’s Corner
- Vanderburg Squared
Here are my questions:
- Why did you start writing?
- Where do you write your stories?
- Do you write the story first or are you inspired by your gameplay?
- Have you ever used a version of “yourself” in a story?
- Do you listen to music while writing / playing? If yes, what kind?
- What kind of books do you read and why?
- Which of your characters could be your roomie?
- Have you ever imagined getting your story published?
- Have you already cried while writing something particularly moving?
- Is there someone who reads your stories and who gives you feedback before publishing?
- Have you ever wanted to be like one of your characters?
*Sits back with a contended sigh*